Saturday, March 29, 2008

Week 9, Thing #21

Podcasts:
I read in the instructions for this exercise that you don't need an ipod or mp3 player, and that's true. But, to really take advantage of podcasts, I think you'd want one. I don't have one yet, but am now thinking of getting one so I can listen to the podcasts that interest me without having to sit in front of my computer. I think of podcasts as a sort of "tivo" for computer users: you're able to automatically save programs that interest you and then listen to them/view them when you want. I used iTunes for my directory and for subscribing to podcasts. But, until I get an iPod or similar device, I'm resisting the urge to subscribe to all the programs I want to hear. I listened to an Amy Goodman "Democracy Now" program that I missed. However, I've only subscribed to one podcast - a French instructional podcast called "The French Podcast". I've been trying to teach myself French for ten years and have been somewhat successful up to a point. I completed a year-long video course and practice when I can, but I think that some of these podcasts can help me with vocabulary and keep me up-to-date on issues in French society and culture. Nous verrons.
There are so many options for the teacher who wants to use podcasts in her/his classes, if the technology is available. I think you can create podcasts directly from a Mac, if I'm not mistaken, using iMovie. A teacher could generate podcasts or have students create them.

No comments: