Friday, December 28, 2007

Week 6, Thing #14

Using Technorati
I started with the optional exercise of adding a tag to this post to then check on how well it would work. Let's see:

So it does seem to work. My impression is that when I select the tag it takes me to other postings that have the same tag, and from there I can see what other tags have been assigned to the posts so that I can come up with related keywords and subjects.
Next I explored Technorati using the suggestions on the CSLA Web 2.0 site, searching "School Library Learning 2.0" in posts, in the blog directory, and in the tags. I found I got more hits searching within posts than within the blog directory, which makes sense. Using tags is more serendipitous -- you never know where the clicking on tags will lead you. Sometimes it seems a waste of time, other times you come across something fascinating that you'll go back to and continue to use. I had to fool around with the authority settings to understand the logic of search results.
Playing around with Technorati features, I included a widget from the Technorati site that lists here on my blog the hot blog searches of the moment.

1 comment:

bibliofan said...

Even when it's a complete waste of time it's always interesting to see what people are blogging about. Technorati is not a tool I find I use all the time, but it is a good one to know about.